Sunday, 14 February 2010

The Real Start of the year

This is my very first post and what a good time to start. Yesterday I received my batch of seeds and seed potatoes for the year. Such an exciting time. I will start today, okay I know its Sunday but I am very impatient. After all these years I still think there is not a moment to spare.The last few weeks of snow has put me behind my schedule.
Just a little bit about the garden. At present I am working as a sole gardener on a 30 acre garden in Somerset. I have a tied cottage on the job and have been here nine years. Much has changed in the last nine years. Apart from adding new herbaceous borders and an ornamental pond a new lake and woodland has been created. I have also managed to persuade my boss to get a polytunnel which has been very useful. He was bemused - he's not a gardener, but he has been impressed by the results,earlier vegetables and flowers, and tomatoes and peppers. Many of the shrubs were leggy and overgrown when I came and infested with vinca (I'm not a fan) this had been used at first as groundcover, but very quickly had been taking over. The lawns were very weedy and full of moss, mostly because they had been mowed with a mulching mower ,which together with heavy clay had made the problem worse. I have still not completely eradicated the problem but it is quite a bit better.The added bonus is that the lawn clippings together with leaf mould and other rubbish has given me a fine supply of compost which has made the soil easier to work and a much needed feed.
Well thats enough for now the greenhouse calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment