I cut some asparagus this week banishing the hungry period.Everybody goes on about how satisfying it is to grow your own vegetables and how we are doing our bit for the environment but even after all these years nothing beats the first crop of the year. I have been growing salad crops in the polytunnel which will be ready soon but outside seasonal crops are better.The books always tell you the quicker you can get sweetcorn to the pot the better but I have never been a great fan of it but asparagus falls into the same category.Way back before I grew my own I thought this was a tasteless overhyped vegetable, but fresh is altogether another experience.I often look at the limp bundles in the supermarket and note in the last instance the country of orgin is Peru and wonder why people waste their money, all that time out of the ground plus the travelling must affect the taste - although I have never tried it ,the price being a deterrant.Asparagus must be one of the easiest crops to grow,most of the work going into the initial preparation of the bed.After that all that is involved, is keeping it weed free and watered and a light top dressing of compost each winter.Not too taxing especially as if left to grow on the fine foliage is excellent for flower arranging.
It has been a strange week as most planting has had to be followed by quite a bit of watering,this being critical to the survival of young plants.As I am writing this though it has started to rain which is a bit of a blessing.This will give the emerging carrots and parsnips a good start.The vegetable plot is looking very good now with the help of Vern who has been constructing the paths between the raised beds and the addition of the new pond in the background will make this a very attractive area.
No comments:
Post a Comment