What I love about August is that the roads going to work each morning are so quiet.Apart from the odd combine sneaking out while it is quiet.There is nothing worse than one crawling along on a busy afternoon with a dozen irate and increasingly impatient drivers in its wake.The trailers that move the straw and grain around are worse as they seem to be in just as much of a hurry as the rest of us, indicators are for wimps must be their motto.
The battle with slugs continues unabated they do seem to be getting bigger and are becoming more desperate to get at young shoots. I now know why they are so attracted to new plantings - apparently when you handle them you bruise them and the smell they give off is nectar to slugs, that will explain why self seeded plants do not get the same damage- obvious when you think about it.
The Olympics are coming to an end and normally I would be glad but they have been pretty good this time, done in the usual stylish British way. Even sitting outside our Post Office in Sherborne basking in the glow of our local boy who won a gold in the shooting made me feel patriotic, something I am not normally inclined to do as patriotism usually means dying for a cause in some senseless war but this - thank goodness, is a bit different.We did quite well which I hope will stand us in good stead in the very uncertain future where I feel we are going to need all the friends we can get.
No comments:
Post a Comment