I know it has been a long time but apart from moaning about the weather not much has been happening. I have been busy its true, but it has been more of a steady grind than an enjoyable time.
The weather has been relentless but I suppose it has not been as disastrous as for some people in this area.Just once, when I was working at Rimpton was it a bit dodgy getting out of the village. The wet weather has meant more than too many slugs and not a brilliant harvest of anything really.
The very good news is that there are to be some changes for next year. I have finished at Wincanton which was too far to go and the relationship with the owners was not the best. They just would not accept that the rabbits were getting in everywhere and destroying everything - no a rabbit cannot get under a two inch gap under the fence and why would they eat all our vegetables when they have acres of lovely grass to eat! The trouble is the rabbits are just recovering from a prolonged bout of mixamatosis - for the last ten years they have been very little trouble but now they are back with a vengeance.They had already cut my hours and wanted me to do more next summer instead.
The really really good news is that I have replaced Wincanton with a job three days a week all the year round at Stowell a village just outside Sherborne about five minutes away.I beat off stern opposition to get this job and I am very much looking forward to starting.It is a formal garden very much like Brewham with loads of topiary which I have discovered I am good at. They have every new piece of machinery available and there is no penny pinching. I will be in charge and can get as much labour as I need so I think I will be looking for an apprentice.
My other jobs at Mere and Milborne Port will stay the same as I love going there and I would not let them down as they have been very good to me and they are lovely and challenging gardens.I will also fit in my less regular but still enjoyable jobs at Rimpton and Purse Caundle - maybe jobs for the apprentice eventually.
My last job at Wincanton was to prune all the old pear trees which were in a sorry state. At least my last job there was a good one as my memories are mostly of sloshing around in the mud and trying to keep the slugs away.
We have now gone into Christmas mode enjoying all the events in Sherborne.Yesterday the Town Band played carols as I was doing my Christmas shopping.It was a lovely day and I popped into the Digby Tap for a noggin on the way home.Today we are going to the French Market and hope to get lots of goodies for Christmas treats.I promise I will post again next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment