Thursday, 18 March 2010

Vermin ?


This last few weeks I have been wandering around the garden puzzling at the appearance of crocuses and snowdrops in the oddest of places. I have noticed it very occasionally in the past but this year they have been all over the place. When I looked more carefully I realised they were not as random as I first thought,being mostly under the canopy of trees.It dawned on me what was happening.They were being dug up and moved by squirrels. I'm not terribly fond of these little creatures because of the damage they do to the trees. We have lost several trees in the garden that have had their bark stripped off and quite a few others that are stunted and unsightly with horrible bare patches on them. I can live with the small holes they make burying their stores of food. The bulb moving I quite like as it makes the bulb planting look more natural,of course I have not found yet where they are digging the crocuses from so ,no doubt, I will change my mind..They must have been digging in the areas with crocuses looking for nuts and then burying them to dig up later. I hope this is part of digging up nuts and not that they have now got a taste for spring bulbs.With all the freak happenings of global warming nothing would surprise me now.
I never learn. A few weeks ago I sowed a couple of packets of tomato seeds in the greenhouse.The first one "Shirley" came up in a few days but a new one to me "Olivado" did not show.Worrying that I would not have enough I bought another packet "Ailsa Craig" which I have not grown for years. I left the" Olivado" on the greenhouse bench to deal with later.The "Ailsa Craig germinated a few days later and at the same time I noticed that the "Olivado" had now started showing through a good fortnight after I had sown them.How strange. So now even before harvest I have a glut of tomatoes albeit at this stage just plants. I never learn to wait for a while. The same happened last year with courgettes.
This next week is going to be all about preparation. I will get the bean and sweet pea fence and trenches prepared and put the stakes in place for the delphiniums.I know its a little early but it is so much easier at this stage when there is room to manoeuvre. I will also finish the first mowing of the lawns.It was slow going last week as the grass was so straggly and thick with missed leaves. It also takes so much longer at this time of year dodging all the clumps of bulbs in the lawn,and stopping to make notes of plants in the borders to move or split. I try not to get distracted when I am mowing but it is not easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment