Sunday, 7 March 2010

Why are we waiting

The sub zero temperatures are continuing way past what can normally be expected for this time of year. This has put seed sowing and even taking cuttings on hold. Jobs are backing up which is very frustrating.Trying to be more positive means I have time to go round the borders and finish off tidying areas and marking perennials that I want to divide this year. The lupins are due to be split up.Last spring was just too wet to get on the ground and it does give me more time to divide the crocosmias that I did not get time to do this autumn. I have the ubiquitous lucifer and citronella a beautiful delicate plant ideal for the front of borders not only for colour but texture and contrast. I quite like the idea of doing a patch with lucifer at the back and citronella at the front.
Of course the dry bright weather has meant that greenhouse work has been a little neglected. I normally spend quite a bit of time taking cuttings of pelargoniums and fuschias for all the containers so I must get on with that this week.I have quite a few dahlias in the green house that I started early so that I could take cuttings to build up stock from all the losses last year.They are now sprouting so another job beckons.

No comments:

Post a Comment