Friday, 13 July 2012

I think it is lack of motivation that is making me so lazy in posting blogs.This is entirely due to the weather. I have been moaning about the cold and damp and the slugs but the weather has made the actual day to day working pretty miserable.
Yesterday I went to Wincanton to discover that the potatoes had blight - the most widespread and bad as I have ever seen. At Rimpton the roses are really suffering from mildew and at Milborne Port most of the roses have not even flowered going straight to that brown papery stage.

Last week I went to the RHS show at Hampton Court and quite frankly was underwhelmed - it was the only fine day and the plants were not used to it and were wilting under the pressure. I also think that economic pressures meant that only the biggest (and less interesting) nurseries were exhibiting. The show gardens were a bit uninspiring (or was it me) I think all the effort had gone into Chelsea and had now run out of steam. David Austen put on a good show and I think all the other rose exhibitors in that marquee were also rans. I think if I see another 'outside room' I will scream. I saw some interesting plants though the 'verbena rigida' will bee one I will try and there were some very unusual colours in the achilleas.I just love the gladioli in the picture - I have already ordered some.
I cannot grumble really as the trip to Hampton court was a present from a client and I have just added a lovely new client right in the centre of Sherborne with a very pretty walled garden. I just have to find the time to fit it in on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment