All of a sudden the vegetable garden is full of produce.I was very proud earlier this week to dig up some new potatoes destined for the table at the www.habitataid.co.uk wildflower course - I hope they went down well.The last course for ponds seems only a little while ago ,but then we were looking at bare plots now they are full of ready or nearly ready fruit and vegetables.Time passes so quickly.One of the jobs I did very early this year was place stakes around all the delphiniums and boy has that paid off .Most of them are now well over six foot tall and looking superb.It is so much easier and effective to do them earlier.I must pencil into the diary to do them the same next year as the results are worth it as they then grow unchecked.There is nothing worse than wrestling with stakes and string to check plants that have gone over and the results never look very good no matter how hard you try.The same with peonies and alstromeiria.We seem to be back to watering all the time the rain, though a help did not last long enough.It has speeded up the grass growth which has left me mowing most of the week and looks as if next week will be much the same.
This morning we went up to the National Trust place Stourhead for a walk.In their walled garden they have surrounded their brassica plot with a copper pipe laid around and beer traps inside to get rid of the slugs.I have read about this but this is the first time I have seen it used.I must try and find out later how effective this has been.
No comments:
Post a Comment