Sunday, 27 June 2010

Too hot

Well summer has most definitely arrived.Jobs have had to be found in the shade.One of the advantages of this dry spell is that the grass has been slower to grow which has meant that less time has had to be spent on the mower.Applications of weedkiller have been very effective and the wildflowers which are a tougher breed have flourished.
I went to Archies field on Wednesday to do some weeding for habitataid.co.uk the thistles need dealing with before they set seed.The fields were glorious - such a contrast to the A303 which they border.I do so remember
 in my previous career thundering up and down motorways looking out into the fields and envying someone working in the fields without a care in the world.I tried not to look too smug.Actually it was too hot and noisy I don't know how all the wildlife put up with it,they must be more resilient than we think.
The fields are looking superb and I hope with the sign facing the road it will spread the word.The approach to the field is along a concrete runway with no hedges either side and no other person in sight. it was so hot and dry it reminded me of being in the south of France in the 70's we'll be growing grapes next.Oh but we are.Near where I live is quite a sizeable vineyard which is looking pretty good.If it carries on like this it will be a vintage year.After a quiet morning I drove back past Castle Cary station and saw all the kids queing for buses to get to Glastonbury just up the road it was funny how I had been reminded of France all those years ago and here was another one of thirty odd years ago, a gang of us with rucksacks and tents and not a care in the world.When I got home I got an email from one of my friends who was with me on that trip and the one to the south of France - he was worried about his son going and that he was going to be ok.How time passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment